"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Tuesday 7 January 2014

Benefits of non-motorised year-listing ?

Much impressed by Chris's approach to low-carbon, non-motorised year-listing (see last post but one), I thought I'd nip out today for a quick lunchtime birding session. I didn't really have time to cycle to the reserve then walk all the way back and I didn't really fancy dumping my bike in a bush for an hour, so thought I'd just do the drive there and back bit (but in a car, not in a van, hopefully producing less by way of carbon emissions) and do some birding, without a bike to get in the way of my scope.  As it happens, I went to the cliffs on foot, got blown about a bit, but I did see an adult Little Gull. The highlight though was some Common Mouse-ear in flower, which I'd certainly have whizzed by whether on my bike or in car or van. Just goes to show what you can miss if you get from A to B too quickly !

1 comment: