"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Thursday 9 January 2014

My first ever blog

Thanks to in depth tuition by Chris I have now been able to join you and the 21st century in blogging.
Yesterday, 7th Jan, I carried out a partial, all day, walking count of bird species at Holme (excluding the village etc).
Only 71 species with some notable omissions like Rock Pipit and Reed Bunting.

I eventually ventured out today, at noon, after the rain moved on and the sun emerged. On Lavender marsh I found amongst the Redshank our resident Greenshank and also Short-eared Owl,  another long stayer.

Despite the raking wind, which today had edged to a very cool westerly, I holed up on Gore Point for an hours sea watch. It was largely as the previous days, loads of GC Grebes, assorted Divers , Guillebills , Mergs , Kittiwakes and Fulmars. Unexpected were two Bonxies which beat their laborious way into the Wash at 1300 hrs a good first 2014 for me.

1 comment: