"For now we are young let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see" Neutral Milk Hotel.

Wednesday 26 February 2014

Jack at last!

My intended birding got off to a slow start, stifled by around 2 hours of IT/email problems!

By lunch I was itching even more, as watched 9 Buzzard & a Marsh Harrier over Ringstead whilst demolishing a sandwich in the back garden! I eventually made it out, into a beautiful day of wall to wall sunshine and 10 degrees! I had already decided to don my wells I try a third time for the smaller snipe of the two, especially after bumping into Dave Holman who had managed twice to see them in a similar area to Andy's. 

The pr of Stonechat were back in their usual spot! I then reached some of the smaller pools & out shot 2 Snipe well before I got to them, another pool another single Snipe. I was about halfway to the bigger pools when I flushed another Snipe. Then another zig-zag across some shallower smaller pools and typically right from under my feet, the target bird, Jack Snipe, typically silent, the small size & short bill obvious,  it flew a short distance fairly low and dropped down. Hurrah!!

I enjoyed the walk back along the shore despite seeing little else of note, the sea notably very quiet save c20 Great Crested Grebe.

I had a bit of work to do, but headed back out again around 3.30pm, it was just too nicer day! I parked up by the pools just in case I could catch up with the Water Pipit, but no sign on this one. It was still a lovely end to the day, with an orange glowing sunset, shining over 300 Lapwing, 200 Golden Plover, c300 Pink-footed Geese, Wigeon, Teal, 6 Snipe, Bar-tailed Godwit, displaying Marsh harrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment